Friday, December 19, 2008

Creating Affirmations

I've been reading "The Success Principles" by Jack Canfield (Chicken Soup for the Soul) and I really liked his guidelines for creating affirmations. I would highly recommend this book for anyone looking to improve their life. The book gives step-by-step suggestions for creating and achieving your vision (it's not just for career, it's for every aspect of your life).

Here's the info on affirmations:

The Nine Guidelines for Creating Effective Affirmations
By Jack Canfield, “The Success Principles”

1. Start with the words I AM. The words I am are the two most powerful words in the language. The subconscious takes any sentence that starts with the words I am and interprets it as a command – a directive to make it happen.
2. Use the present tense. Describe what you want as though you already have it, as though it is already accomplished. (Instead of “I am going to get…” say “I am enjoying my new …”)
3. State it in the positive. Affirm what you want, not what you don’t want. State your affirmations in the positive. The unconscious does not hear the word no. That means that the statement “Don’t slam the door” is heard as “Slam the door.” The unconscious thinks in pictures, and the words “Don’t slam the door” evoke a picture of slamming the door. The phrase “I am no longer afraid of flying” evokes an image of being afraid of flying, while the phrase “I am enjoying the thrill of flying” evokes an image of enjoyment.
4. Keep it brief. Think of your affirmation as an advertising jingle. Act as if each word costs $1,000. It needs to be short enough and memorable enough to be easily remembered.
5. Make it specific. Vague affirmations produce vague results. (Instead of “I am driving my new red car” use “I am driving my new red Porsche 911 Carrera.”
6. Include an action word ending with –ing. The active verb adds power to the effect by evoking an image of doing it right now. (“I am expressing myself openly and honestly,” not “I express myself openly and honestly.”)
7. Include at least one dynamic emotion or feeling word. Include the emotional state you would be feeling if you had already achieved the goal. Some commonly used words are enjoying, joyfully, happily, celebrating, proudly, calmly, peacefully, delighted, enthusiastic, lovingly, serenely, and triumphant.
8. Make affirmations for yourself, not others. When you are constructing your affirmations, make them describe your behavior, not the behavior of others. (“I am effectively communicating my needs and desires to Johnny” instead of “I am watching Johnny clean up his room.”)
9. Add or something better. When you are affirming getting a specific situation (job, opportunity, vacation), material object (house, car, boat), or relationship (husband, wife, child), always add “or something (someone) better.” Sometimes our criteria for what we want comes from our ego or from our limited experience. Sometimes there is someone or something better that is available for us, so let your affirmations include this phrase when it is appropriate.

A SIMPLE WAY TO CREATE AFFIRMATIONS
Visualize what you want to create. See things just as you would like them to be. Place yourself inside the picture and see things through your eyes.
Hear the sounds you would be hearing if you had already achieved your vision.
Feel the feeling you want to feel when you have created what you want.
Describe what you are experiencing in a brief statement.

Katie Goode, LMFT
www.HolisticTherapyOC.com

No comments: